LOUISIANA PATIENT'S BILL OF RIGHTS
· RIGHT to be informed of all rules and regulations governing patient conduct and responsibilities.
· RIGHT to be informed of available services and related charges, including charges not covered by third party payers.
· RIGHT to be informed of his or her medical condition and the opportunity to participate in the planning of their treatment, which will also include the right to refuse unwanted treatment.
· PATIENT will not be discharged or transferred unless this action is in the best interest of the patient. If transfer or discharge by the hospice agency is warranted, a 30-day notice will be given to ensure an orderly transfer.
· PATIENT will be encouraged to voice grievances and recommend changes without fear or restraint, interference, coercion, discrimination or reprisal. If grievances cannot be resolved through counseling with a hospice representative, the patient will be encouraged to telephone the Office of Elderly Affairs @ 1-800-259-4990 or Bureau of Protective Services @ 1-800-898-4910. Representatives are available from 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. and a message can be left for a return phone call after these hours.
· RIGHT to manage his or her personal finance unless the patient requests in writing that their finances be managed by hospice, then the patient will be provided with a quarterly accounting of financial transactions.
· RIGHT to be free of mental or physical abuse, which includes chemical and physical restraints except as authorized in writing by a physician for a specified and limited period of time or when necessary to protect the patient from injury to self or others.
· RIGHT to confidential treatment of personal and medical records and the ability to approve or refuse their release to any individual outside the hospice.
· RIGHT to be treated with consideration, respect and dignity.
· RIGHT to religious freedom, including the right to espouse no religious beliefs.
· RIGHT to receive care without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin or handicaps.